Thursday, August 05, 2004

Housemaids Knee!

I thought I had blogged from my phone but something must have gone astray so let's get up to speed...

Down on site for a few days this week. Work under control, no issues. Mad storms around London. Driving around the M25 was a lightning show. At the end of day 1 my knee felt sore as I got into bed and proceeded to wake me through the night. In the morning I noticed it was red and tender to the touch. Had a bit of trouble putting weight on it. By the end of day 2 I was running a temperature. I was in obvious need of anti-biotics. Day 3 didn't really have much work for me but you've got to keep the client happy haven't you? I was away off site by lunchtime and Jacq made me an afternoon appointment with the Doc.

Got home after a right tough drive. Knackered and feeling the sweats again. Jacq and the kids had enjoyed a stop-over last night at Marys. Harriet had so much fun and such a late night that she was spark out on the sofa.

The consult with the Doc led to swift diagnosis. Housemaids Knee. No!!! Please, a sting or a bite at least. I said, "You can't call it that! It MUST have a techie name?" As he wrote the offending phrase in my records I demanded he replace it with its proper name Prepatellar Bursitis. Doc seemed convinced it wasn't infected but I protested my case and got some anti-biotics for the fever feelings.

Spent the evening gently. Jacq busy boxing books using my new tool, a packing tape sealer! Top job, kids wanted lots of goes sealing the boxes with tape. Spoke with Dad who told me that Rene had broken her leg in 3 places! That put's all in perspective then doesn't it? He laughed when I told him this story.

It seems that a possible move date may the 27th of this month. That focuses the mind. It's a bad time to get restricted movement. So I'll just have to to stop being so gay and get stuff done.

I WAS thinking of working from home tomorrow but I'm going to be feeling too shitty. When I phone in sick I MUST remember to NOT call it Housemaids Knee!

1 comment:

Phillip Ingham said...

Searching through the archives to try and make you feel better I found this.....

Runners Knee

Unfortuneately this term is almost meaningless and simply means the person gets knee pain on running. There are a whole variety of very different causes to this problem and the specific knee problem must be properly diagnosed by an expert sport medicine doctor, physiotherapist or knee surgeon. Similar terms are 'housemaids knee', surfers knee etc etc. The list of Common Complaints covers all the main cause of knee pain in runners.

So maybe you should start calling it surfers knee!!!!